Have you decided to become a homeowner? Buying a home is as much a lifestyle choice as it is a financial decision, but HSBC can help you every step of the way(1).
Buying a home can become a cornerstone of your finances. It can be a guarantee for future investments in the future, contribute to buying a larger home or a way to fund your retirement.
Our mortgage experts can help you step by step, right up until you pick up the keys.
Useful help and advice
5 steps to buying a home
You can get started by trying our borrowing and repayment calculators.
Then, when you find the right place and your offer is accepted, these are your next steps. On average, they'll take around three months.
- Choose a notary.
- Sign a commitment or promise to sell.
Remember: you only have a 10-day cooling off period to change your mind.
3. Cooling-off period: 10 days starting the day after signing the commitment or promise to sell.(2)
4. Apply for a mortgage and the necessary insurance.
5. Get a loan offer, usually within 45 days(2) of signing the commitment or promise to sell.
Again, you have a 10-day cooling off period to accept the offer.
6. Once the loan offer has been issued by the bank, there is a legal cooling-off period of 10 days from receipt for you to accept it.
7. Sign the deed of sale and pick up the keys.
What you need to apply for a mortgage
Your last three payslips
Your last three statements from all your bank accounts
If you receive any income from property, the “déclaration 2044” (form number 2044)
Your last tax return
Proof of identity for all applicants, including your marriage certificate if applicable
Proof of residence at your current address
Your signed commitment or promise to sell
Proof of funds for your deposit
Tools to define your project
Finding out how much you can afford to borrow is an important part of buying your home.
Seeing how much you can borrow and your monthly repayments will help you shape your choices and make the right decisions.
Which mortgage is right for you?
(1) Subject to review and acceptance by the Bank. The borrower has a period of reflection of 10 days from the date of receipt of the offer. The sale is subject to obtaining the loan. The Bank is under no obligation to respond favourably to requests made in the context of this commercial proposal. Any loan for the acquisition of real estate, construction, property (residential or mixed use, mixed meaning residential and business use) or works where the loan or secured by a mortgage is a real estate loan.