HSBC France

Home insurance

Home insurance is essential to protect your home from loss or damage in the event of a claim (fire, burglary, flooding, broken locks, broken windows, etc.).

When to take out home insurance?

  • If you are a tenant or a co-owner,
    it is compulsory to have home insurance for your flat or house. If you are a tenant, an insurance certificate is required by your landlord when you sign your lease.
    In fact, you are liable towards the landlord for any damage you may cause to their flat, house or building.
  • If you are the owner
    As the home-owner, you are advised to at least take out a home insurance policy including third-party liability cover for loss or damage caused to third parties.

    Not all contracts provide the same cover, even though the same 'basic' cover is often included: fire and explosion, water damage, broken glass burglary, natural disasters, storms, etc. Choose a policy that suits your needs and protects your home, your property and your valuables as fully as possible by taking out additional cover.

How do you choose home insurance?

Before considering taking out a comprehensive home insurance policy, you need to estimate the value or obtain a valuation of your furniture and valuables, the number of items to be insured and the surface area of your accommodation. It should be noted that for most policies, rooms that are larger than 40m² are counted as 2 main rooms.

What criteria are used to determine the premium?

Once again, for most policies, the premium amount is determined by the surface area of your home, its type (house or flat), the number of rooms, the furniture insured, the cover required, and the excess and options chosen. Do not just only compare the prices and the losses covered by the different contracts, but also the excesses applied by the insurers in the event of a claim.

What to do in the event of a claim?

  • Tell your insurer about the claim
    If the damage caused is covered by your insurance, you have a deadline of 5 days to make a declaration unless the policy allows a longer period of time.
    Therefore, you should send a letter by registered post with acknowledgement of receipt to your insurance company informing them of your contact details as well as your policy number. Describe the extent of the claim in detail in the letter, specifying the circumstances.
  • Provide an estimate of total damages
    An estimate of the damage caused must be provided to your insurance company in order for you to receive compensation. You must also attach all necessary documentation (invoices, photos, etc.) and be careful not to throw away the items concerned so you can prove the value of the damaged property.In certain cases, an expert may be appointed to appraise the value of your property and assess the circumstances of the incident.

* Dial +33 810 246 810 from abroad.

Products - Home

Advice - Home

Have a question?

0 810 246 810 (Service 0,09 € / appel + prix appel)